Skip to main content

Jason's Deli














Jason’s Deli in Schaumburg, IL is a hidden gem.

I had been going to Costco right across the street from this restaurant for years and while I had seen the sign for the restaurant numerous times, I didn’t think of going in there. Why?  Well from the street, I couldn’t really see the building.  You have to follow the driveway to the back of the building before you see its entrance.  Plus, I always thought to myself… I don’t want to go to a deli!

Well, was I wrong! It’s now one of my favorite places to go!

My friend Andy suggested we consider this restaurant for our lunches because he knew how much I loved a restaurant called Sweet Tomatoes.  It was a salad buffet restaurant that offered a huge array of salad ingredients and also soups, pizza, pasta and ice cream.  We’d go there because we could get as much as we wanted and stay and talk as long as we wanted.  Nobody ever bothered us and gave us “the eye” if we overstayed our welcome.  (To date, we still haven't come here for lunch together, even though I've been here several times now with my wife, daughter and another friend!)

Well, Jason’s Deli is my new Sweet Tomatoes!  That restaurant closed all of its Chicago locations a couple of years ago, although it still runs in other states.  I was really sad that we had lost a salad buffet in our area and continued to lament its closing whenever I wanted a salad for lunch or dinner.

Enter Jason’s Deli.  I had no idea that they served an unlimited salad bar there and even after being told that they had one, I still wondered how good could it be?  After all, it’s a Deli, right?  Well, it’s more than just a deli… it’s a great salad bar too!  As you can see in the photos, it offers many salad ingredients and dressings.  The quality of the ingredients seem better to me than Sweet Tomatoes as well.  Plus the staff is constantly making sure the salad bar is cleaned up and neat.

For one low price, you can go as often as you like to the salad bar (just ask for a clean plate when you go for another round) and fill your plate.  There’s a variety of other salads there too like potato salad, cole slaw and pasta salad.  Pickles, hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, croutons, prepackaged crackers, even corn bread and mini chocolate muffins!

If you’d like to add some meat to your salad, for an additional price, they can get that for you. If you like soup, you can get that too for an added price.  Or, consider getting a ½ sandwich and a single plate of salad.  While that plate is smaller than the ones given for the unlimited salad bar, it’s still capable of holding a lot of salad.  I know because my wife usually does this option and comes back with a huge amount of salad on a single visit to the bar!  If you are only going to do the unlimited salad bar (or perhaps also add some meat or a soup), there's a self-serve kiosk that you can use to bypass the ordering line of people trying to get sandwiches.  Just swipe your credit card and you are good.  I use this method because I can walk up to it and in less than a minute, I'm ready to get my salad!

And, after you are done with the multiple trips to the salad bar, don’t forget some soft serve ice cream! In a bowl or an ice cream cone, it’s a winner!

Jason’s Deli offers a lot more than just salad and sandwiches, but given my main interest was in getting a good salad after missing it for years, I’m going to encourage you to try the salad bar.  Great ingredients, a friendly and helpful staff… it’s a winner in my book!

Jason’s Deli – 1530 McConnor Parkway, Schaumburg, IL 60173
Phone: 847-240-0516

Comments